There are many reasons to journal, and one popular area is that of gratitude. If you feel anxious and find it difficult to see the joy in life then creating a journal of gratitude could help to shift your focus to more positive things.
If you spend time giving thanks for what you have even if you don’t have much you will be developing a different outlook. You will begin to see the positive side of things and this can transform your attitude.
By first learning how to journal effectively you will get an idea of how to use a journal to your advantage. Once you have followed these steps you are ready to create a gratitude journal.
- Begin by listing why you love yourself. Don’t think about things you want to change just yet and avoid making comparisons with anyone else while you do this as this will just bring you down.
- Make a list of your proudest achievements and describe how you felt at the time.
- List problems you overcame and what you did to get through them. Always use positive language when journaling.
- Think of all the things you have in your life that you will be sorry to see change and make statements of thanks for them.
- At the start or end of each day replay the last day in your mind and list things you could be thankful for. If things did not go as planned, use the experience to write a statement of purpose. As an example, if you made a mistake during the day your statement could read: ‘Even though I did not do the right thing, I am thankful I recognised the error and made attempts to correct it. If presented with this problem again I will…”
- Use your journal to celebrate and appreciate people, situations, opportunities or anything you like.
- When you make a conscious effort to be thankful you will have a diary of experiences to review when things are not going so well.
Giving Thanks in Your Journal
Giving thanks daily in your journal has many benefits. These range from developing self-awareness to solving emotional and other problems. The process can help you heal old wounds and change your perspective on life. You will feel happier and this will show in the way you conduct yourself.
If you believe this type of journaling can help, why not start your own journal of gratitude today? What are you thankful for?